Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. – 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
What a sweet comfort to know that our God always keeps His promises. I can be very unfaithful. I just spent several stressful hours desperately trying to find a design file on my computer so that I could deliver on a promise I had made. Even with the best of intentions and careful planning, I can make a promise without knowing that circumstances will keep me from being able to keep that promise. I change my mind. I’m sometimes dishonest. My affections can be fickle, and my love sometimes conditional.
God, in contrast, is always faithful. Let’s look at just a few reasons for this.
- He is all-knowing, so nothing takes Him by surprise to change His plans.
- He is all-powerful, so nothing could ever prevail against His will.
- He is everywhere present and nothing escapes His notice, so there are no missed opportunities.
- He is truth, so He could never lie to us about His intentions.
- He is sovereign, so there is never a time when anything is outside of His control.
- He loves us unconditionally, so nothing can separate us from His love or His commitment to us.
Praise the Lord that God is faithfully changing me into the image of Christ and His promises are not dependent upon my faithfulness. Because of His faithful promise to redeem me, I can and will be made faithful.
PRAISE: Give God glory for His incredible faithfulness throughout all generations.
THANKSGIVING: Thank God for faithfully keeping His promises and staying true to His perfect nature.
CONFESSION: Ask God to reveal areas of unfaithfulness or unbelief within your heart. Ask God to help you fix your mind on His trustworthy promises found in His faithful Word.
FURTHER STUDY: Breathe in the truth of God’s faithfulness from His Word, then respond to Him in prayer based on what the Holy Spirit has revealed to you.
1 John 1:9; Deuteronomy 7:9; 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5; Revelation 19:11; 2 Timothy 2:13, Lamentations 3:22
Find printable Scripture memory and devotional resources at Etsy.com/shop/breathinggrace.
Subscribe to Posts
Enter your email below to get posts delivered directly to your inbox.